Monday, July 6, 2009

Betty Crocker Gluten Free! About time...

From the time I went gluten free two years ago, my husband has said that mainstream companies should get on board because it would be a good business venture for them. We never understood why most gluten free products were organic, free from preservatives, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like to eat healthy and don't feel at all deprived by not being able to have heavily processed food. But, bread that doesn't have to be frozen or pancake mixes that don't cost a fortune and then ended up tasting like chalk would be nice (btw, stay away from Arrowhead Mills pancake mix).

So today I say a big hooray for General Mills. Not only did they change their Chex recipes to make them gluten free, they now have a line of Betty Crocker gluten free cookie and cake mixes. Since I have a baby and can't go to 10 different stores, I sent my mom on a hunt for these things. Six supermarkets later, she found them at Pathmark. We were very excited. She bought me all four so I have the Yellow Cake, Devil's Food Cake, Brownies, and Chocolate Chip Cookies. All gluten free. I still can't believe it.

I decided to try the cookies first. All you need to add is butter, water, and an egg (or in my case egg replacer), mix it together, and bake. Like a gluten-full cake mix! I was a little concerned while I was combining the ingredients because like most gluten free recipes, it was not turning into dough. I'm sure the egg replacer wasn't helping. I decided the only way it was going to work was if I just used my hands. Worked like a charm. I then used my hands to roll the dough into small balls and put them on the cookie sheet. I think I ended up with about 30 cookies. And man, they are good. Definitely the best gluten free chocolate chip cookies by far. I can't wait to make the rest of the Betty Crocker gluten free mixes. Too bad gluten free doesn't mean calorie free. I wonder how much more breastmilk I would need to pump to burn the calories in a cupcake...?



2 comments:

  1. what kind of egg replacer did you use? my daughter is allergic to wheat and egg, and we've been wanting to try these new betty crocker mixes, but i have been wondering what to replace the egg with - flax? applesauce? powdered egg replacer? did you replace eggs in any of the other mixes - brownies or cakes? how did those come out, and what did you use? thanks!

    and super kudos to you for exclusively pumping! that takes commitment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melinda! I used the Ener-G egg replacer. I've used it in gluten free bread mixes and some some baking mixes including the Betty Crocker cookies and brownies. The cookies came out great. We just made the brownies tonight and those came out a little wierd. I'm not sure if it's the egg replacer or something else. I'll put up a post with pictures tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete