Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Little Taste of....Breast Milk

Yes, I finally tasted it. I know a lot of mom's taste their breastmilk to see if it's still good or to assess temperature or just out of sheer curiosity. I had no desire to taste it and managed to go over 5 months without doing it. But today I had no choice. You see, my husband, who is usually exceptionally good about safeguarding the milk, accidentally left 9 ounces sitting out all day yesterday. I came home from work to find my 6am milk still on the counter at 5pm. Now, I'm pretty liberal with my milk standards and use the 10 hour rule for how long it can sit out at average temperatures. But, 6am to 5pm is 11 hours not to mention that the house was pretty hot yesterday. So, needless to say, I was not pleased to find this milk out just when I've begun rebuilding my freezer stash with allergy free milk. To cut to the chase, we smelled it yesterday and thought it was probably fine but when I went to make little man's bottles for daycare tomorrow it smelled a little off. My choices were to risk giving him bad milk, throw it out, or taste it and make sure it was ok. Like I said, I had no choice but to taste it. And you know what, it didn't taste bad at all. No wonder the kid loves it so much. Guess I could have tried it months ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment