Monday, June 22, 2009

Finding a New Bread

I don't find the gluten free diet to be all that challenging. Most things can be substituted and taste as good (or better) than their gluten equivalent. That is not the case, however, with bread. It took me a long time to find a decent bread that I didn't have to bake myself. For the past year, I've been eating a few different kinds of bread from a company called the Grainless Baker. Their breads and other products are fantastic. But, they have eggs in them so I won't be eating them anymore. That left me in search of a new bread. Before I discovered the Grainless Baker, I used Whole Foods and Gluten Free Pantry's sandwich bread mixes which are pretty good. These also call for eggs in the recipes. I made one today using Ener-G egg replacer and it came out really well. I still hate making bread though. I feel like it takes half the day between putting the ingredients together, letting it rise, and baking it. But, at least I have an option. Here's a picture of the final product. I had a piece with sunbutter (since peanut butter is now a banned substance). Not the best snack in the world, but it'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment